Sunday, November 23, 2014

Hunger Games

It's Hunger Games inspired this month over at Crafting Con! I admit, I watched the movie when it came out, but my daughter was still a baby and woke up several times while Patrick and I tried to watch it, so I ended up splitting it into two evenings. This left me without much of an impression of it, and honestly I didn't give it a whole lot of thought after that. This summer, after I finished the latest Outlander book, I bought The Hunger Games on my Nook while I was trying to find something else to read. Unfortunately I had a bit of a book hangover and just couldn't get into it. Fast forward to this month, I went to re-watch the movie for sewing inspiration only to find that now Catching Fire is on Netflix instead. Well, darn it, the story was fuzzy, so I decided to read the first book (after all, I already had it!) before I watched it. I ended up reading the whole series in less than 3 days. I have since recorded The Hunger Games on my DVR, and watched both that and Catching Fire. At least twice.


My inspiration to sew came from Catching Fire.

Cyrus reminds me a bit of Peeta, right down to his love of orange and bread. Maybe a bit less blonde. So for the sew along, I based this off of his outfit at the reaping. Jeans, tee, hoodie - his style in a nutshell. Since they share a favorite color, I made a Peek-a-boo Grand Slam from this amazingly soft orange bamboo knit. The slim fit option in this pattern is such an amazing fit on this kid. The hoodie is Shwin Designs Submarine Hoodie modified to use an old button up shirt and tee. Instead of using the placket pieces on the hoodie, I cut the front to use the existing button placket on the shirt. The hood I cut just slightly wider than the neck, and made a casing in the front for a drawstring. (Nope, not the "right" way, but I was improvising and didn't have eyelets on hand at the time.) I omitted the elastic at the bottom and sleeves, and just did a folded hem, and used the button tabs to keep the rolled sleeve look. The buttons are orange for an extra pop of that favorite color.




Initially for Ellie, I wanted to use Prim's outfit at the Hunger Games reaping for inspiration, but couldn't find skirt fabric I was happy with in time. Instead, I decided to go with a loosely Finnick Odair inspired look. The inspiration from his outfit came from the promo posters for Catching Fire, and also from the general idea of water and fishing from District 4. I made a white LouBee Bimaa Sweater with a shawl collar - my first Bimaa! I can now say I understand why everyone loves this pattern, and I'm really excited that the new sizes mean I can make one for Cyrus. For the skirt, I found this knit at JoAnn's - shades of blues, and the sparkles that look like sunlight on water. I made a simple yoga waisted circle skirt, since I really just wanted to show off this fabric. The waistband is the same white knit as her top, partly so it's easy to hide under a shirt, and mostly because I was afraid the sparkles on the blue would be uncomfortable against her skin. I also made a necklace inspired by Finnick's by braiding some cotton cord, but instead of a shell hers has a fluorite dolphin charm.




Happy Hunger Games! And may the odds be ever in your favor.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome inspiration! I love how the Peeta hoodie turned out (and it's nice to see the shawl collar option on the Bimaa :) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I didn't find many shawl Bimaas out there, but it suited the look I wanted so much better than (another!) hoodie. :) I'm glad I went with it!

      Delete
  2. These turned out adorable! I adore the Peeta outfit - I have to admit he's my favorite guy in the series and he likes orange, which just makes it better ;) I love the Finnick sweater from the promotional posters - what a great idea to use the Bimaa for it! Thanks for playing along with us! PS - check your inbox... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm with you, I love Peeta. Gale is great and all, but I was rooting for Peeta through the whole thing. I was so thrilled to finally get a sew along month done! Now I've had to get cracking on my upcoming projects! :)

      Delete