Friday, October 3, 2014

Shorts galore

In the spirit of catching up, here is some more of what I was sewing over the summer! A good bit of my sewing time was for my best friend and her son ET (my honorary nephew). BA found some adorable beach and nautical themed prints that she wanted made into summer shorts for the baby, and I was happy to oblige. Upon going through my substantial collection of pdf patterns, I found that I really didn't have just a basic, elastic waist shorts pattern. The only one I have doesn't ever print properly for me, which drives me nuts and makes it hard to use. Instead of buying one, I used the Peek-a-Boo Pattern Shop Pier 49 Pants. I shortened them using the length of a pair in his size, and omitted all of the admittedly cute details like pockets, both faux and real.
Chew that pull rope!
Stop to admire the scenery.
Just look at that cute face.
Legos!
They came out a bit long, but otherwise fit pretty well. No growing room to speak of, but the summer heat doesn't last long in Maine, so they got him through the season. We have some other cute prints stashed away for next summer's shorts!

His mommy didn't want to be left out, so I made her a couple of pairs of shorts length leggings. Along the idea of playground shorts for little girls, BA found she could use something to wear under dresses. You can see the hems of one pair peeking out under her dress in the photos above on the deck. Leggings may be back for fall, but knee length ones for summer weren't so easy to find. Greenstyle Creations Lucy Leggings came to the rescue! There are several lengths and two rises to choose from, which takes most of the guesswork out of where to cut. I used the yoga waist option, but there are directions for an elastic casing if that's your preference. These came together wicked fast, and I had fabric left over, so I made some for myself, too! I used Kaufman Laguna knits from Fabric.com. It is a little lightweight for leggings, but is very soft and comfortable to wear. I'm pretty sure I need to find a thicker knit and make a few full length pairs for the cooler weather that is starting to creep in. Come on autumn, I'm ready to layer!

No comments:

Post a Comment